The following information is taken from a variety of newspaper announcements of forthcoming sales and auctions. It gives an insight into the types of properties in the area.
21 Jul 1773
A thirteen year lease of Cumyns Esq deceased. Spacious and elegant villa, with roomy attached and detached offices, park, pleasure ground, kitchen garden, with excellent walls, richly cloathed with choice fruit trees, canal, fish pond etc and a small farm, with its requisites, in the whole about four score acres.
Called Aldborough Hatch, desirably situate about two miles beyond Ilford in Essex. The gravely soil on which it is seated renders it perfectly dry and healthy, the surrounding prospects noble, among which the River Thames and the itinerant objects, moving thereon beautifully picturesque.
6 May 1791
The valuable freehold and copyhold estates of Pinson Bonham Esq deceased. These two lots desirably situate at Aldborough Hatch, three miles from Ilford on the border of Hainault Forest, and only ten miles from London, in the county of Essex.
Lot 1, A genteel villa, with attached and detached offices, lawn, pleasure ground and kitchen walled garden and abundantly stocked with choice fruit trees, hot house and green house, the surrounding enclosures of rich land in the highest state of cultivation, contains ninety acres within ring fences well supplied with water. Also two cottages and a Smith’s shop.
A second auction was held at the end of May for the sale of household furniture, pictures, prints, 6 butts and 15 hogsheads of beer and ale, brewing, garden and dairy utensild, orange trees, green house plants, together with valuable live and dead farming stock and implements and other effects. The furniture comprises fourt-part bedsteads with damask cotton and other furniture, beds and bedding, pier glasses, cabinet work in wardrobe, chest of drawers, dining, card, sideboard and Pembroke tables and chain steel stoves, wilton carpets and kitchen utensils.
The farming stock consists of 5 useful draught geldings, a pony, 8 cows, 25 ewes and a ram, swine and poultry, an excellent wagon, five carts, harness, ploughs and harrows, iron and wood, land rollers, 2 stumps of well got hay, a quantity of straw and fire wood.
Lot 2. A nett ground rent of two pounds ten shillings per annum for a term of 40 years, issuing out of two brick dwelling houses and offices and gardens near the above in the possession of David Samada Esq.
6 May 1791
A desirable freehold farm, situate at Little Heath on the border of Hainault Forest in the parish of Barking, a small distance from Aldborough Hatch, one mile from Chadwell, three from Ilford and Romford and only ten miles from London, containing 45 acres of rich meadow and arable land, lying exceedingly compact within a ring fence well timbered and watered with a dwelling house and proper out buildings, two cottages and unlimited right of pasturage upon the forst, the whole on lease to Mr Shonk, for an unexpired term of 6 years from Michaelmas 1791 at £60 per annum.
16 Oct 1793
A very compact freehold estate agreeably situate at Avery Hatch near Aldborough Hatch, 2 miles from Ilford, a short distance from Epping Forest, and only 8 miles from London, comprising a commodious modern built brick dwelling house of four rooms on a floor, neatly fitted and finished, well suited with offices, pleasure grounds and gardens, and 8 enclosures of land containing 42 acres, refreshed by a sheet of water, on lease which expires at Michaelmas 1793, to John Quinton Esq at £110 per annum.
To be let, a very desirable residence suited for a large family at a moderate rent, containing three sitting rooms, study and man’s pantry, 13 excellent bed rooms, two dressing rooms, water closet and two stone staircases, two gardens walled in. Coach houses and stabling for 8 horses and a small paddock. Situated at Aldborough Hatch near Ilford, nine miles from London, one and a half from Turnpike road.
3 Mar 1840
The valuable materials arising from the capital mansion called Aldborough Hatch House, situate a short distance from Ilford and Romford, in lots to be taken down at the expense of the purchasers.
The house is brick built with double parapet front and is in most substantial repair.
The timbers comprising the roof, girders and frame work, together with the excellent batten and fir floors, oak sash frames, sashes and fittings, carved marble chimney pieces, massive panel doors and fittings are all in excellent condition.
The hall is paved with marble slabs 15 inches square. The staircases are also in stone with ornamental balastrades and are almost equal to new. The fixtures in the house will be sold at the same time together with an excellent Turret Clock. Handsome Palisade iron fence, with entrance gates and Portland stone coping, and a conservatory 19 feet by 11 feet fitted with sashes in large squares and flower stage.
22 Sep 1851
A small detached freehold villa residence with tastefully disposed lawn and gardens, meadow land, and convenient out houses and premises, situate at Aldborough Hatch in the parish of Barking and district of Saint Mary, Great Ilford, Essex. The estate is distant only 9 miles from London and abuts upon an excellent road, three miles from the town of Ilford and the railway station there and within one mile and a half from the district church and half a mile from the highly picturesque borders on Hainault Forest. The house is admirably screened from the road by belts of fine healthy shrubs with a small well trimmed lawn beautifully adorned with with thriving American and other valuable plants of good shape and has a fish pond on either side of the carriage drive entrance.
The internal arrangements of the residence are as follows: an entrance lobby, a breakfast room, drawing and dinning rooms, kitchen, dairy, pantry, washhouse, closets, four bedrooms and two staircases. The out buildings consist of a green house, summer house, shed and gardener’s tool house, two stall stable, with loose horse box and coach house, also root and poultry, houses and piggeries. The premises are well supplied with water, the kitchen garden is enclosed and intersected by gravelled walks and adjoining thereto is a paddock, orchard and a valuable meadow. The whole property compromises about 5 acres and a half of land and is in the occupation of James Panlin Esq under a yearly tenancy.